Pages

Tuesday 3 December 2013

Gingerbread Boys

After the big Christmas party Friday night, a few people stuck around Saturday to decorate a passel of cookies that Kyla and I had whipped up.  I used my great - great - grandma Henkel's recipe (it's top secret, so I'm keeping it under wraps for now..shhh).  


But I'll give you a few hints as to what (not) to do when making the best gingerbread boys in the world.


First of all, make sure to SLOWLY bring all your sugar, lard, molasses and corn syrup to a boil. I had a couple chunky bits that hardened weird when it heated up really fast at the beginning.


When you add the eggs, make sure they're well beaten and then beat reallyreallyreally fast because you're pouring into a boiling syrupy mess that will cook the eggs almost as soon as you add them.





When it gets to hard to stir anymore flour in, roll up your sleeves and go to town with the kneading.



I made my dough the night before to save time when we actually wanted to decorate and left it in the fridge overnight. Unfortunately I forgot to take it out and let it come to room temperature so I was stuck with a very hard ball of dough when I wanted to start cooking.


The cardinal rule of baking: When one is lacking a proper rolling pin, one must make use of the nearest wine bottle *wink wink*.



Jare and Dave really got into the spirit of decorating.



The sugar cookie ladies.


Courtney whipped up a bunch of icing while Kyla did the heavy labour with the cookie creation.




Finally it was time to get down to business!






A few icing bag explosions later, and countless sprinkles ground into the carpet, we decorated probably close to 100 cookies in two hours! Quite the undertaking!


Notice the tacky Christmas sweater on Mr. Moose. He's very stylish.  

I'm back at the lake for a few days before my exams start, so I'll have some lovely pictures from around here for you all soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment